Update: don't have buttermilk on hand? Olivia from My King Cook has made the world's most comprehensive list of ways to make buttermilk with ingredients you already have in your kitchen! Plus, she has some other delicious buttermilk recipes included in the round-up!
Cinnamon Roll Cake
5 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of salt
5 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
10 tablespoons of butter
1 3/4 cups of buttermilk
1 cap full of vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
2. Whisk your flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda together.
3. Add your vanilla.
4. The original recipe says to use a box grater to add the butter, but I've found that tearing pieces works just as well! Plop those 10 tablespoons into your dry mix.
5. Knead your dough (or cut the butter in, if you're fancy/don't want to get your hands dirty) until it's the an even consistency, like the world's softest sand.
6. Measure and add your buttermilk.
7. Commence mixing! You might need to get in there with your hands again- especially if you're impatient like me!
8. Once your dough is all fixed, set it aside.
9. Melt some butter, mix some cinnamon sugar, and assemble your assembly line!
10. Take a ball of dough, flatten it out, and smooth some melted butter on it.
11. Flop it into the cinnamon sugar!
12. Press, roll, and repeat!
13. Press your individually rolled cinnamon-covered dough pieces one next to the other in a spiraling fashion until your pan looks super pretty- almost like a rose, right?!
14. Take any leftover cinnamon sugar and dump it over the top!
15. Bake in the oven until golden brown (I'd say around 20 minutes?), cover liberally in frosting (I have a great frosting recipe here, but feel free to just mix butter, confectioners sugar, and milk until you find a good consistency!), and enjoy the hell out of your creation!
What's your go-to recipe?